Light, refreshing, and full of flavor, this One-Skillet Lemon Chicken with Summer Squash is the perfect summer meal. In just 30 minutes, you can have this easy, one-skillet dinner on the table on a weeknight.
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil — divided
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice — divided
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic — minced
- Sea salt and black pepper — to taste
- 1 lb. of chicken breasts — cubed
- ½ large red onion — thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini (or ½ large) — thinly sliced into half rounds
- 1 small yellow squash (or ½ large) — thinly sliced into half rounds
- In a large bowl, prepare the sauce by whisking together 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, oregano, and minced garlic. Then season generously with salt and black pepper, to taste. Mix to combine. Then, set aside.
- Using another large bowl, add the cubed chicken and pour half the marinade on top. Set aside after tossing together.
- In the original bowl with the marinade, combine the sliced zucchini and yellow squash. Then toss to combine. Set aside after that.
- Put a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, pour in the remaining tablespoon of oil and add the red onion slices. You can season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Then, stir to combine.
- Stir occasionally until the onion begins to soften and develop some color. This takes around 4 – 5 minutes.
- Into the hot skillet, pour the chicken. Stir the chicken occasionally until it’s golden brown and cooked through, which takes around 8 – 10 minutes.
Take the skillet off the heat. Then, transfer the chicken and onions to a platter once they are done cooking. Put aside for later.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and put the skillet back on. Add the seasoned zucchini and yellow squash. Add more salt and black pepper if desired.
Stir occasionally while cooking until crisp-tender and nicely browned — around 3-5 minutes.
- Then add the chicken, onions, and juices back to the skillet, and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with parsley, fresh basil sprigs, and remaining lemon juice.
- Plate the dish and serve immediately. Add more lemon wedges, if desired.