Totally keto-friendy, and suitable for family dinners or entertaining guests, this dish is simple yet impressive.
The key to this recipe is to use fresh garlic and herbs, as they will give the chicken the best flavor. Roasting the chicken until it is golden brown on the outside, but still juicy on the inside, is also essential. With the flavors of garlic and herbs infusing the whole roasted chicken, your family and friends are sure to love this recipe.
Easily lose weight with a customized Keto diet plan and take this quiz to calculate your Keto macros and calories based on your goal weight for FREE.
Substitute the onion to keep carbs low
We use the onions help to lift the chicken out of the juices, as well as to give the sauce a lovely flavor. To keep carbs low, the onion is discarded after cooking rather than eaten.
If you’d like to be stricter and leave the onions out entirely, you can substitute ovenproof metal cookie cutters for the onion slices to lift the chicken while it bakes.
- 1 large white onion — cut into thick slices
- 1 whole chicken (5 – 6 lb.)
- Sea salt and black pepper — to taste
- 1 small container of fresh poultry herbs (thyme, rosemary & sage) — rinsed and divided
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter — at room temperature
- 6 – 8 cloves of garlic — finely minced, then divided
- 1 cup of sugar-free (or keto-friendly) organic chicken broth
save money & use your leftovers for another meal
If you have leftover meat from this meal, make chicken stock or shred it for the next day’s soup or salad.
- The oven should be preheated to 425°F. Arrange onion slices in the bottom of a large, heavy-duty 12-inch skillet with high sides.
- After discarding the neck and giblets from the chicken, place it breast-side up in the skillet over the onion slices and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Take about 1/3 of the fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage and separate it from the bundle. Trim the tough stems off of the thyme and rosemary leaves and discard them. Make sure you mix the leaves with the sage before you chop them.
- Combine the softened butter, half the minced garlic, and the chopped fresh poultry herbs in a small bowl. Mix to combine. Divide and place small chunks of the herb butter under the chicken skin, covering the breast meat evenly.
- Place the remaining minced garlic inside the bird’s cavity and massage it in. After that, stuff with the rest of the fresh poultry herbs and secure legs together with kitchen string. Pour the chicken broth into the skillet.
Take the guesswork out of
Keto & Dieting
Get your custom keto diet plan at just $37 – with easy recipes & even options to eat out.
- In the pre-heated oven, roast the skillet for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165° F. Be sure to check the skin every 30 minutes as it cooks to prevent it from browning too much.
If the skin looks like it’ll become too brown, cover the chicken with aluminum foil after 1 hour. Once another 15 – 20 minutes have passed, check for doneness.
- Take the skillet out of the oven and carefully transfer the chicken onto a serving platter. Allow to rest for 15 – 20 minutes and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm. Discard the onion slices (to reduce the carb content) from the skillet while the chicken rests.
- Now heat the remaining liquid in the skillet over medium-high heat. Make sure to remove the browned bits from the bottom using a spatula or wooden spoon. Then cook until the liquid has been reduced by half. You can season the sauce with black pepper and salt after it has been reduced.
- Carve the chicken and serve with a spoonful of warm pan sauce on top of each serving.